Thursday, December 30, 2010

Beware of tasksel!

One of the things I messed about with yesterday when doing the Mantis project was to use tasksel to install all necessary packages for a LAMP server:
    sudo tasksel install lamp-server

When eventually I gave up on the project (at about 2:30am this morning!) I reverted with:
    sudo tasksel remove lamp-server

I noticed something strange - the remove process took quite a long time and I noticed unexpected package names whizzing by on the tasksel dialogue. Anyway, when I came to boot up this morning I got a message about not being able to configure my display hardware or something. It looks like tasksel remove removed some things it shouldn't have alright.

I only had a low graphics console environment available, and could not connect to my wireless network. In short, I've spent the last couple of hours reinstalling Mint :-(

No comments:

Post a Comment