Sunday, December 19, 2010

Setting up the NSLU2 on Linux Mint

Create a mount point:
    mkdir /media/nslu2

Mount the share you set up on the NSLU2 (assumes the default NSLU2 IP address):
    sudo mount -t smbfs "//192.168.1.77/DISK 1/music" /media/nslu2 -o "workgroup=Home,username=barry"

Copy your files over, using -r to copy folders:
    sudo cp -r "/home/barry/Desktop/Abba greatest hits"/ .
;-)

I'll put the mount line in fstab and it should mount at boot up. - Update - this is a bit trickier than I'd hoped. I've had to escape the space in the share name (which I can't get rid of as far as I can see - dictated by NSLU2) with \040:
    //192.168.1.77/DISK\0401/music/ /media/nslu2 smbfs "workgroup=Home,username=admin,password=password,auto,user" 0 0

This means I could lose the "", which were also causing a problem.

After testing - by jove it works! Was a bit worried as of course my wireless connection on the laptop is not fully set up when fstab is processed during boot up, but as soon as I was connected up popped my samba share as a drive on the desktop.

1 comment:

  1. My work is not quite finished with this. There is a permissions problem when I put files on the NSL unit through Linux. I can only access them via sudo which is a bit of a pain...

    Have put everything on the NSL drive via Windows XP for the time being.

    ReplyDelete